Sublimating on accessories according to the season is a fun way to change up your look using our Easy To Follow MDF Keychain Sublimation Tutorial complete with step-by-step instructions and video tutorial. This technique can be complicated, but we’ve got you covered! We provide all of the materials needed for this project as well as easy guidelines that will help guide beginners through advanced sublimators on how to sublimate our double-sided, diamond-shaped keychain sublimation blanks in no time at all.
Supplies Needed To Sublimate Keychains
In order to recreate the finished product, a Fall Boho Keychain, you will need:
- Double-Sided MDF Keychain Sublimation Blank – now out of stock
- Fall Boho Keychain Design in a PNG format — free offer expired
- Sublimation Printer
- Miscellaneous Sublimation Accessories such as sublimation paper, heat tape, heat gloves, and most importantly, a heat press.
- Jump Ring Pliers
Sublimation Keychain Blanks
For this sublimation project, we used our own custom cut, diamond-shaped sublimation blank. It is sold in a set of 6 and includes the split rings and key rings.
- Double-Sided MDF with Semi-Gloss Finish
- Prints with a vibrant design
- Small enough that it doesn’t add extra weight
Heat Press Settings For Our Diamond-Shaped MDF Keychain Blank
These are the time and temperature settings we used for sublimating our keychain blank. We use a George Knight DK20S heat press for this. The outcome of your own sublimated keychain may be different than what we have because it is all dependent on many factors such as sublimation design, paper used, heat press brand. Even the atmospheric pressure (humidity) in your studio can make a difference on the final pressed keychain.
- Temperature: 385 degrees Fahrenheit
- Time: 50 seconds
- Pressure: Light to medium pressure
Step-By-Step Diamond-Shaped MDF Keychain Sublimation Tutorial:
- Preheat your heat press to the settings above.
- Print your sublimation design using a sublimation printer.
- Our MDF keychains do not have a protective film so no need to peel anything off.
- Tape the keychain blank to your sublimation transfer.
- On your heat press, lay a clean piece of butcher paper down, then the blank keychain, sublimation transfer (facing down), and another piece of butcher paper on top.
- Press the first side.
- Allow to cool for a minimum of 5 minutes before sublimating the second side.
- Tape your blank second side to the sublimation transfer.
- Repeat step 5.
- Let it cool again before adding the split ring and key ring to the sublimated keychain.
- Add a tassel to dress it up a little
Video Tutorial On How To Sublimate On MDF Keychains
Video tutorial coming soon. Subscribe to our Youtube channel to get notified when this sublimation tutorial is available for you to watch.